A little bit of history
The history of The Children's Centre stretches back to 1868 when local philanthropists, including Henry Bloom Noble, recognised that there were many destitute children living in Douglas.These children lacked housing, food, clothing and education, and it was realised that without help their prospects were bleak: starvation or a life of crime.
A long history
The Children's Centre was exclusively a children's home for over a century. In the 1980s, our Trustees looked at the changing needs of young people and their families, and decided to make dramatic and far-reaching alterations in the work of the charity. As a result of these changes the name became 'The Isle of Man Children's Centre', a more relevant title for the wide range of services we now offered.
The past thirty years has again seen significant expansion for the charity, and huge growth in the diversity of services we offer. Although we have grown as an organisation, our principles remain the same and we continue to put children, young people and families first.
Our name change to 'The Children's Centre' in October 2009 was the result of a review into the way we presented ourselves as a charity, our mission and our vision. It coincided with the opening of our integrated buildings on Woodbourne Road, and was the perfect opportunity for us to reflect on our past achievements and look forward to an exciting and challenging future.
Of course, we can't predict what that future will hold. But we are certain that as long as children, young people and families need help and understanding, we will be here to provide the hand up they need to fulfil their complete potential.